Go down
redline2400
redline2400

The Last Gasping Strings of Spring (p) Empty The Last Gasping Strings of Spring (p)

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:43 pm
While he was scheduled to leave for DC later that day, Nick Mills was not going to sit around and pout about going home. His spring break back at Camp Half-Blood had been... interesting, especially considering the mysterious disappearance of that Ares sand-pounder Chad.

But whatever, that was long a week ago.

Right now, down with the few hooligans stoking a midday fire, all he could afford to think about was jamming out a jazzy solo on his sister’s Gibson bass.
Astoria
Astoria
Administrator

The Last Gasping Strings of Spring (p) Empty Re: The Last Gasping Strings of Spring (p)

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:00 pm

Lily was sitting in the courtyard, it was where she would spend a lot of her time, it was either there or on the beach soaking up all the sun rays. In some way she just felt closer to her dad in the sun, or she'd just feel a surge of energy out there that couldn't be replicated elsewhere. The daughter of Apollo on the other hand liked the courtyard because a lot of people would be walking back and forth between the courtyard and their cabins or wherever they were coming form. It was a good way to chat with people.

The other reason Lily enjoyed the courtyard was because that's where she'd host a lot of the Apollo cabin's parties just so everyone could come if they wanted to. Sure she was a cabin leader, but she was still responsible and made sure they cleaned up after themselves, and she never hosted the parties on a week day, not that it mattered too much to a group of demigods.
redline2400
redline2400

The Last Gasping Strings of Spring (p) Empty Re: The Last Gasping Strings of Spring (p)

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:48 pm
Despite being certainly not the only person in the courtyard, Nick was able to tune the world and keep jamming on that bass. No amount of fire-poking hooligans, cool breezes, or intruding thoughts could keep him away nailing the perfect solo.

Except that breeze was actually kind of nice. Like, the way it carried the salty sea air in from the bay and... and the way it was not so hard that it messed things up but not too soft so you could not cool down. And... and.. and...

Nyighe!

As Nick’s mind drifted away from the music, his grip on the guitar lightened to the point of dropping the thing. At his feel lay the destroyed remains of half-sister Shanon Marlowe’s vintage Gibson.

While Marlowe was out - apparently she had left for Oregon the other day - word of her busted bass was bound to spread like the pox. Getting distance between him and the instrument was key, and he had to do it fast.

He picked up the body and neck, did his best to stick them back together, and made a beeline for the Apollo cabin.

[He passes Lily along the way.]
Astoria
Astoria
Administrator

Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Sitting in the courtyard she could hear so music, at first it was the faintest of sounds, but then it grew louder and louder until eventually she realized it was one of her half siblings walking passed her. She seen Nick and immediately flagged him down and tried waving him over. "Nicky!" She called out to him with a big smile on her face. Hearing him play the nice Gibson made her want to go search for her little Ukulele, but she didn't want to leave the courtyard at the time.

"Are you going to be at the party tonight?" She asked him.
redline2400
redline2400

Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:21 am
“Nicky!”

Crap! How was Lily already onto him? She was pretty on top of things, but sneaking up on him right after breaking Shanon’s bass? That was just too perfect.

“Hey, Lily,” Nick said, turning around and holding the neck in place. He hoped it was good enough to cover the damage.

"Are you going to be at the party tonight?"

“There’s a party tonight?” The neck bent a bit, getting torqued back into place moments later. “I’d love to go but... I’ve got a train booked back to DC at dusk.”
Astoria
Astoria
Administrator

Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:42 am

"Awe come on! This is the second party in a row you've missed!" Lily said as she examined what Nick was holding. It appeared to be an instrument another one of their siblings had owned and she raised her eyebrow for a moment.

"Nick, you want to explain to me why you're holding Shannon's bass so oddly?" Lily asked about the bass in his hand. What was he trying to hide, was he even hiding anything, she was hoping he wouldn't call her bluff. She just had a feeling, it was the same feeling she would get with a lot of kids in her cabin.

"What would happen if you let go of one of your hands there?"
redline2400
redline2400

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:47 pm
"What would happen if you let go of one of your hands there?"

No. No. No. No. No. There had to be a way out of this without giving his game away.

“Well, what do you think will happen? It’s a bass after all; holding it one-handed is just a recipe for disaster and I’m sure Shanon would not appreciate us treating her axe like that. It’s basically her baby so you know she’d love to see it handled in the best way possible. Like, do you see the sunburst paint? Do you see the mahogany neck? Do you see the ivory knobs? This is a bass worth protecting with your life.”

“That being said-“ Nick began turning to leave- “I was just about to put this wonderful instrument back in it’s place, so if you just let me shimmy on by that would be great.”
Astoria
Astoria
Administrator

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:48 am

Lily raised her eyebrow up as Nick went into explaining that it was a very nice bass and it needed to be held properly. That was a fair point, but she was trying to look into his eyes and get some hints off of a possibility of panic of lying. Her eyes would linger back down to the instrument in his hand.

"So since its in such a nice condition and you've been gifted with playing it this afternoon, why don't you play me a little tune, Nicky." She said as she watched him turning on his heels to leave. After that she'd leave him alone, but she knew how tricky Apollo children were, not as bad as some Hermes kids, but still.

"I'd love to hear something.. Maybe something jazzy, I know you like jazz music."
redline2400
redline2400

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:53 am
“You know Lil,” Nick replied, stopping in his tracks, “I actually just got done jamming a bit and was gonna go pack my bags. I’d love to play for you, but how about we wait an hour? Is that good for you?”

Hopefully this would be enough to keep the cabin leader at bay.
Astoria
Astoria
Administrator

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:20 pm

She raised an eyebrow as he denied playing her something right now. That wasn't quite like Nick. Sighing she looked over to him and let out a few words. "I guess." but she waited a couple seconds so he was almost starting to walk away again before she spoke up again. "But you wouldn't mind if I played something, would ya?" Lily said still looking at Nick.

"I love our half sister's bass. She'd let me play it, it's been so long since I've played a bass, I think it'd be rather nice. C'mon."
redline2400
redline2400

Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:41 am
”Look, Lily,” Nick said, “I really have to get this back.”

As he spoke the neck began do slip away, causing him to nudge it back in.

“I’ll be honest with you, I may have broken a few strings. Now I know that’s not exactly unplayable, but I would like to get those taken care of before I head home.”

He gave the neck another jerk.
Astoria
Astoria
Administrator

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:42 pm

"Okay, fine." Lily said crossing her arms over her shoulders looking at him. "Go on and get it fixed, but if I hear anything else other than what you've told me from your half sister, believe me Nick you will see my wrath." She said in a serious tone.

Lily let him walk away, but while he was still in earshot, "Have a good day Nicky!>"
redline2400
redline2400

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:34 am
She fell for it. Lilly fell for it.

“Have a good one too, Lily!” Nick called back, throwing his leader a single wave. How she fell for his act he was not certain, but his friend Jorge’s mom always said he had the gift of the gab. Maybe he just said the right things or maybe Lily did not want to start something in public, but for the moment Nick was a free man.

Until he saw Shannon Marlowe at the cabin door.

[I have nothing else to really add here, but this has been very fun.]
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum