Go down
Cedar

Mysteries and Regulations (p) Empty Mysteries and Regulations (p)

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:12 pm
Mysteries and Regulations (p) Tumblr_inline_pq3bxemD9V1u8wlfo_500

There were stacks upon stacks of books on codes and regulations. Hell, there were isles worth of transcripts on the Roman state alone. That's where Thurmond Porter, son of Salus and Optio of the third spent his free time in New Rome's library. It was large with pillars and the usual Ancient Roman building structural components. There were three levels to the marble library and currently, Thurmond was the third. Aside from senators and legacies of Justitia there simply because it was filled with law texts and literature that were boring.

It was right after dinner at the mess hall that Thurmond decided to come to the library to brush up on Camp Jupiter's health food code. Of course, he was sure that New Rome was tiptop, but even demigods are fallible. Licking the pad of his thumb, he turned the page of a textbook that he was already one hundred and ten pages into. His back was pressed against the nearest wall facing down the aisle. Thurmond could've taken a seat but instead, he decided to stand. Plus, when was the last time those seats were wiped down?
QMeetsWorld
QMeetsWorld

Mysteries and Regulations (p) Empty Re: Mysteries and Regulations (p)

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:45 pm

Fig had completed all of her mandatory activities for the day so, naturally, she was at the library. Her most recent point of historical study was the Football War between El Salvador and Honduras. She'd watched an Oversimplified YouTube video on it and instantly wanted to know more. She'd spent the last couple of days doing a lot of research on the economic and political states of El Salvador and Honduras in the late 1960's. Today she was doing a deeper dive into football and FIFA regulations. She wanted to know more about why the citizens of the host country could so easily harass the other teams before the matches.

Fig was up on the third floor of the library. She had headphones in and was listening to the Beatles. Of all the music that Fig had missed in the 150 years she was who knows where, the Beatles were her favorite. Not only because they were obviously the best, but because they tied her back to her original home in Liverpool. Sure, they lived their a century after she did, but she couldn't really complain. She'd come to terms with the time she had missed. She'd studied everything she missed from World Wars to the OJ Simpson case. She probably knew more about history than the average 17 year old in 2019.

Fig was combining the sports section of the books looking for one on FIFA. She knew there were plenty of things she could read about the corruption in FIFA now, but she wanted more about the rules and regulations back in the '60's.
Cedar

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:26 pm

Thanks to his ADHD,  Thurmond found himself wanting to read something else. He walked back to the shelf where he got the text but stopped in his tracks when he saw one of his cohort-mates. With a small smile, the son of Salus made his over to the daughter of Janus. Knowing enough about bro-public ettiequte, Thurmond, once he reached he, blonde-haired demigod, he gave her a wordless wave. No one should interrupt a person who has earbuds in. That was a no-no. Not unless it was an emergency.

Last edited by Cedar on Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
QMeetsWorld
QMeetsWorld

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:00 pm

Fig was lost looking through the books in front of her. She had mixed emotions about looking for books in the library. She loved the hunt, and she loved the way it felt when you finally found it. What she didn't like was the time it took, and how annoying it was when you couldn't find exactly what you wanted. Fig had gotten so close to finding exactly what she was looking for just for it to be a little bit off. She was starting to get really annoyed and was considering just Wiki-ing that shit when her attention was broken. There was someone waving to her. It was Thurmond, the opito from her cohort. Maybe he'd be some help. Fig slipped her headphones out.

"Hey Thurmond! Weird question. Would you happen to know where to find stuff on sports rules and regulations throughout the years? I'm trying to learn about FIFA in the like late '60s." She tilted her head to the side. Her voice was a weird mix of the places she had lived: 1850's Liverpool, 1860's Georgia, and now. It'd be impossible to place if you didn't know Fig's story.
Cedar

Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:34 am

Thurmond slowly raised an eyebrow at Sifueroth's question. He didn't really care much for sports aside from baseball, but that was for more personal and inappropriate reasons. "Unfortunately, I don't know, but I'm sure we can find them together. I usually stick to the boring shit that no one wants to talk about and skip over in the terms and conditions section of, well, everything." Thurmond softly chuckled. "FIFA in the 1960s is an interesting subject to study. May I ask why?"

Because Thurmond tried to be as active as he could with each and every one of his fellow cohort-mates, the son of Salus knew about Fig's interest in history and wanting to solve mysteries. Personally, he found it quite intriguing. He related it to him and his interest in reading law books. One might suspect of him of being a son of Justitia. "Did you enjoy your dinner at the mess hall?"
QMeetsWorld
QMeetsWorld

Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:02 am

Fig slipped her headphones around her neck and pressed the pause button. "Have you heard of something called the Football War? It's my current historical obsession." Fig turned her attention back to the books when Thurmond offered to help her. She'd always known him to be helpful, and she definitely appreciated the assistance. Maybe talking to someone would make her less annoyed with the whole process.

"Basically things were super shitty between Honduras and El Salvador because of some immigration stuff and also the influence of America's obsession with bananas from Honduras in the late 1960's. So when those two countries were facing off in the World Cup in 1969. a bunch of awful stuff happened that turned into a 100 hour war that basically no one actually won." Fig explained briefly as she flipped through the books on the shelf. She had gotten pretty good at explaining historical stuff to people over the past couple years. It was mostly what she was good for.

"I want to learn more about safety procedures for players at that time because basically the teams were harassed at their hotels before matches, swaying the outcome of those matches."
Cedar

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:27 pm

“The football war? No, I’m not familiar with that.” Thurmond regrettably informed. The majority of the information that the native Virginian studied up on was Roman history and rules on the law books. He assumed that most of the books on past historical sport events would be in the sports or history section. “If it was a small war, then it would be in the military section of the library, but if you’re looking for sport safety precaution, I’m going to deduce that it is going to be somewhere in a law book.” Thurmond tilted his head to the side. Gods, did he wish the library was a bit more specific.

Thurmond started to slowly walk down the aisle with his eyes scanning the spines of the books on the shelf. “I’m sure those safety procedures were more strict then than they are here in Camp Jupiter,”  he said a little underneath his breath with disdain, “having one of our cohort mates sent to the infirmary for a third degree burn after a game of Deadly Dodgeball isn't fun.”
QMeetsWorld
QMeetsWorld

Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:34 am

"I know everything there is to know about the actual war, I think. I just want to know why FIFA let some of these things happen. I mean, I get it. FIFA isn't necessarily the most upstanding organization now, but still. I'm guessing their rules care more about the actual games, and anyway these games weren't in like big countries. It's easier to ignore things in El Salvador than in like England." FIg rambled as she looked through books. She looked at Thurmond when he said something about camps regulations. "Surprisingly, I think not."

After another Fig found the book. "FINALLY!" She squealed. She held it out towards Thurmond excitedly. After tucking it under her arm she said,

"I am all set up at a table down the hall that way if you want to join me." She ran her hand back through her blonde hair. "I'm probably going to be around for a little while. I can help you find something if you need that."
Cedar

Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:54 am

Thurmond had his own opinion about why FIFA would care little for the safety of Central American countries, but he rather not say anything. Instead, he shook his head. Not everyone understood his disdain for imperialism, ironically since he was a Roman. Aside from that, Thurmond's body tensed up at Figueroth's sudden display of excitement, but that quickly recovered. "I'm glad you found the right book." Thurmond chuckled a bit out of surprise before deciding to take the daughter of Janus up on her offer.

"Ah, sure, I wouldn't mind joining you for a brief moment before going on about my other duties." Thurmond had already gotten the books that he wanted to, all he had to do was follow Fig back to her set up. "What other subjects have you been brushing up on?"
QMeetsWorld
QMeetsWorld

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:14 am

As Fig sat back down behind her laptop, she crossed her legs in the chair and started to explain her mission to Thurmond. "Well, ever since I came to camp from wherever I was, I've been on a mission to learn about absolutely everything that I had missed since 1864. I started with big things, like presidents and the World Wars. Then I moved into smaller stuff and now it's just kind of whatever tickles my fancy that day. I watching an Oversimplified video on the Football War that made me go on this dive."

Fig slipped her glasses on. She was so thankful for improved optical care. She really loved actually being able to read without getting a headache. She flipped the book open and hit the space bar on her computer so it would wake back up from its sleep. She had a huge Google Doc that was the culmination of her information, sorted in alphabetical order.

'So what about you? What's your mission?" Fig asked Thurmond. She was good at multitasking.
Cedar

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:39 am
"Hm," Thurmond tilted his head to the side in thought. He wondered how much it was for Fig to catch up on past and current events and who explained everything to her. As she said, she took to learning about certain topics in history which he did applaud. "Well, I have to say that I do enjoy your...enthuasium to wanting to learn. I actually commend you for that." Once he got comfortable in his seat, he let out a quiet sigh and scratched the back of his head. He wondered if Dean knew about how much Figueroth loved history. Knowing him, Dean probably did.

When Fig asked about what Thurmond mission was, it was a little hard for him to answer. "Well," he started, clearing his throat. "Uh, well," he cleared his throat, "well, my mission is to better the Roman state. I know that sounds cliche, but it's true." He paused for a moment. "I don't have much else to work on, I guess. Of course, I'll help enact change through lobbying and pushing legislation " After all, he didn't have much of a social life that didn't revolve around him being an Optio and after his break up with Oliver, he didn't have much of a romantic life either.
QMeetsWorld
QMeetsWorld

Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:42 pm

Before Fig found herself flashed forward 151 years, she had never cared too much about learning things she didn't need to know. She wanted to help her family's farm, so the things that her mother taught her that didn't apply to that felt useless to her. Learning had always been her younger sister, Felicity's, thing. She was learning to read when she was like 3.

"Thanks, it's still kind of new for me. I mean, like 2015 new but, that's kinda new in the like grand scheme of things." Fig pulled her blonde hair back into a ponytail.

Fig listened to Thurmond as he explained what his mission was. She looked up from her book, twisting her pan between her index fingers and thumbs. "I don't think that that's cliche. I think that it's actually... noble." Fig said with a sweet smile.
Cedar

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:13 am

"Such is understandable." Thurmond nodded his head once. He repositioned himself before cracking open the book he had with him and flipping through the pages of it. It was on Food Regulation in the Mess Hall. Though with the food being made fresh, he had doubts there was much room for food poisonings and cross contamination. Nonetheless, it was nice to learn about the magical mechanics behind the conjuring of meals.

When Figueroth called his acts "noble", the son of Salus couldn't help but start smiling. It wasn't rare that Thurmond smile, but it was rare for him to smile thanks to a compliment. "Thank you, Fig, it means quite a lot." He shook his head some as if as an attempt to stop smiling.

QMeetsWorld
QMeetsWorld

Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:11 pm

Fig flipped through the pages of the book until she found the part on player accommodations and treatment. As far as she could tell, several FIFA rules were broken in those two games in Honduras and El Salvador pertaining to the safety of players and the fact that there hotel shouldn't have had public access in the way it did. It seems FIFA just completely ignored the rules though. Nice to know that some things never change.

Fig smiled back at the smile Thurmond gave her. "Well, you're quite welcome. You should try that smile out more. It's a nice look." Since Thurmond was her opito, she knew the reputation that he had both in and out of the cohort. She knew that it would be helpful if he smiled like that more.
Cedar

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:55 pm
Again, Thurmond found himself smiling even more. He knew that he shouldn't let the words of others move him, but Fig was being genuine. "I appreciate that. Thank you." He cleared his throat and continued reading. He glanced up at the daughter of Fig from his book. The son of Salus took in a deep breath and held in for a second before letting it out. "...Aside from solving mysteries, where else do you like spending your time?"
QMeetsWorld
QMeetsWorld

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:19 am

Fig nodded when he thanked her before turning back to her research. Unfortunately, there was less here than she wanted. It seemed like it was honestly just a shitty situation that shitty people had let happen, from FIFA to banana purchasers in the United States (yeah of course they were involved, too. No surprise). It was always weird when she felt like she had reached the end of a thread.  Now she would have to find something else to study.

Fig laughed lightly when Thurmond asked what else she likes to do. "I'm here, normally. Not only for research but I also work here. I wanna be a librarian one day." She explained. She was so thankful for the amazing librarians here who had helped her so much in those early days. They sat with her and showed her how to use the computer and explained words she didn't get. It was her dream to be one now.

"Other than that I like music, and movies, and tv. Again, a lot to catch up on."
Cedar

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:42 pm

Thurmond slowly nodded his head. "Ah, I see," He wondered what it felt like to work here. If he did, Thurmond would probably get fired for spending too much time on the third floor. Then again, when the son of Salus was given a task, he made sure to complete it in a timely manner. Nonetheless, Thurmond snapped himself back into the present and traded a small for Fig's laughter. "Why do you want to be a librarian if you don't mind me asking?" He questioned with a small grin.

He liked hearing that Fig had other interests. It was important to be well-rounded. "What genre of music do you like the most? I would say classical, but I feel that's too on the nose. Maybe...pop?" He questioned with a slight tilt of his head.
QMeetsWorld
QMeetsWorld

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:37 am

Fig loved her job. She had struggled finding her footing at camp for so long, and to finally find it among these shelves was so important to her. It was weird, in a way, that she had fallen in love with a career she could have had in her old life. It seemed more likely that she would have been enamored by technology. In a way, she kind of was, but it didn't disconnect her from her love of books and this library. She was more than happy to talk about it all the time.

"Well, I love research and books for starters. But, more importantly, there were so many great librarians that helped me here when I first came to camp. They helped me find my footing and learn about all the things I missed. One of them gave me computer lessons every single day and bought me my first phone. Her name is Ethel. She is lovely." Fig said with a small smile.

The music question was a little bit harder. "I guess I don't have a specific favorite, which sounds a little like a cheat, but it's not. My favorite thing about music is how it can all be so different but it connects us all. My favorite band is the Beatles, though, if that better answers your question."
Cedar

Wed May 08, 2019 1:31 am

Thurmond listened closely to what Fig had to say. It must've been something to be brought into the twenty-first century with the amount of information that she needed to absorb and contain. The thought of her journey made him smile more. "Ms. Ethel sounds like an amazing woman. I'm happy that you had the support you needed when you first arrived here at camp." He let out a quiet sigh and went back to focusing on his text. His thumb caressed the side of the table in thought while his demigod mind bounced around from sentence to sentence as if he had taken some sort of drug.

When Fig spoke again, he lifted his head to listen to her again. Having eye contact while also holding a conversation was something that Thurmond valued along with perfect posture and a kind smile. "Ah, The Beatles is an excellent band. My favorite song from them is 'Here Comes the Sun'. Always a great song to listen to when you're feeling down. I'm more of an RnB fan myself."
QMeetsWorld
QMeetsWorld

Fri May 24, 2019 1:18 pm

Fig nodded. "I guess that I got really lucky. It's definitely not common, but there are quite a few demigods that end up in the same situation that I do, missing time and all. Sure, most of them know where they were and I don't really know if I do, but that's not the point. I'm lucky that I met someone to help me." Fig liked being at Camp Jupiter, she really did, but she hadn't really focused too much on making friends. So, while she figured out what she had missed, she wasn't totally caught up on the things that young people did.

Fig smiled when Thurmond talked about the music that he liked. She always liked when people talked about music. Except for the odd soul who genuinely didn't like music or happiness, people genuinely lit up when they were talking about the kind of music that they liked.

"My favorite Beatles song is probably Come Together. Either that or Eleanor Rigby. Really, I like all their music. I also like that they are from Liverpool, which is where I was born." Fig pushed her hand back through the top of her blonde hair. "R&B is awesome, too. Studying Detroit and Motown Music and everything about their past there has been one of my favorite things to study. One of my favorite albums is Songs in the Key of Life from Stevie Wonder."
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum