Go down
Pike
Pike
Administrator

breaking in? no. Empty breaking in? no.

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:11 am

Beatrice was very good at doing things she wasn't supposed to. One might even say that it's what she does best. So, there she was, kneeling outside the door to the room where they held meetings, trying to pick the lock. Chiron had gone out for the day, and if Mr. D caught her he would probably just help her or just tell her to leave. She just needed to get a file from in there, based on some disappearances around camp. Except they had a habit of locking the door, and she'd rather just pick the lock instead of trying to lift the key off whoever had it.

She had tried a week ago to get in, but then she heard hooves so she had to run, which in turn left her lock pick horribly disfigured. She then spent a couple days fixing the pick, and another couple days making sure she had Chiron's schedule down before she tried again.

"C'mon Steve," Bea whispered. Yes, she was talking to her lock pick.

breaking in? no. Tumblr_inline_poqpdsNGoz1shjm27_100
AwkwardlyAsh
AwkwardlyAsh

breaking in? no. Empty Re: breaking in? no.

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:38 am
Noah Robinson had just been minding his own business. That is, he had been plotting ways to get back at whichever one of his siblings had replaced all the pictures in his wallet with post-its, and proceeded to cover his face with them while he slept. Damn him for being a sound sleeper! Nearly six years and he still hadn't gotten used to midnight pranking.

He was deep in thought, leaning against the side of The Big House. The deck railing began right next to his head, so if someone had peered over the edge, they would have seen his mess of dark hair. But his concentration (when he was awake, at least) was something easily broken, and the sound of footsteps was enough. People tip toeing usually meant trouble. Noah loved trouble. So, naturally, when he heard someone creeping by, he decided to follow.

He went around to climb the stairs to the baby blue deck, noticing the door of The Big House open. He slipped through, glancing around to spot someone turning the corner and crouching beside a door. Noah smirked as he heard the voice that spoke. It was obviously feminine, and its owner was definitely up to no good.

"C'mon Steve." Yep, not anyone from his cabin either.

"Who's Steve?" He questioned, his arms crossed as he leaned against the wall. "And what are you up to? If it's stealing something, I'm down. Also my god given lock-whispering skills do come in handy now and then, but hey, if you want to do that go ahead."
Pike
Pike
Administrator

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:44 am

Bea nearly jumped out of her skin when someone just seemed to appear behind her. She really needed to work on her perception skills. She turned around to see some guy leaning against the wall, and for a second she thought he was there to tell her off or do like a citizens arrest or something. Except he only seemed to encourage her, which she could get behind.

"Steve is my lock pick, I'm not stealing more like borrowing, and," Bea gets the last tumbler, and she hears the click of the lock, "I've got it." She's very thankful that the door had unlocked, because otherwise she'd be very embarrassed. Bea puts Steve back with her other lock picks in the leather case for them and slides it back into her bag. She stands up straight, giving the guy a curious look.

"Do you mind being a lookout?" She usually didn't have other people involved in her schemes, which usually led to her getting caught. But, if she had another person involved, looking out for any authority figures, maybe she'd be able to actually make some headway on this case of hers. Or she could have some company in whatever punishment they'd have for her.

AwkwardlyAsh
AwkwardlyAsh

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:36 am
"Names for lockpicks..." He raised one brow before continuing. "Not the weirdest thing I've heard. Or said. But whatever." He was mildly impressed at the girl's skill level. After all, it had taken her quite a while to open one lock. Noah realized, once he caught sight of the lock pick, that it was slightly mangled. "Borrowing, right."

"A lookout?" He appeared to be  wounded, his hand to his chest. "Me? A child of Hermes, god of trickery and thieves, be a lookout? No no, we don't need a lookout. Besides, the thrill of the endangerment is an added bonus. I would help out perfectly." Despite his word vomit and lack of solemnity, he honestly was curious about what this girl was 'borrowing'. The why she was borrowing it was a later question. And there were probably more locks somewhere in there.
Pike
Pike
Administrator

Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:13 pm
Bea shrugged, "All my lock picks have names." She said, without giving further explanation. Honestly there wasn't much of a reason for them to have names other than the fact that she liked naming things. Most of the things deemed important enough to go into her bag had names.

Bea doesn't waste time arguing with him, and instead goes into the room, pulling out a notepad with a list of names and cabins on them. Nine names in all. All mysterious deaths in the past month. The camp usually went a couple of months before having a death or two, but nine in a month was an astronomical jump. Yet, all of them were seemingly unrelated. After they figured out the how, and sometimes the who, nobody ever really bothered to figure out the why. Were they connected? Was a higher power behind all of this? Bea wasn't sure, but she was going to find out.

Which brings us to the present. Bea immediately walked over to the wall of filing cabinets. She had gate crashed a couple of cabin counselor meetings in the weeks previous, not only to ask whether or not they'd be looking further into the string of deaths, but also to try to get into the filing cabinets. She couldn't access them with everyone in the room, but now she would be able to. The cabinets held the info of every single camper that had ever stayed in camp. At least in the last fifty years. Each file had everything from a list of infractions, to emergency contacts, to whatever random data the camp collected. The information might help her find some connection that wasn't easily seen from the surface level. So, she got to work, starting with the Ares cabin. Chad Lewis, died at the funeral pyre after being connected to two other deaths. She pulled the file out and threw it onto the table, before moving on. Athena cabin, Atticus Young. She already had copies of the files of Alfred and Astrid Thorsen, a case that she had previously solved and the first two deaths to occur. Then to the Hermes cabin, Nevaeh Moore. Tyche cabin: Poppy Hafer, who happened to be the cabin leader. Other god's cabin: Maisie Anderson, Angel Rei, and Sable Thompson. The first two had been killed by carnivorous sheep. Which weren't even found in the forest. It was all strange.

"Yep, borrowing," She said as she gathered up all the files, "I'll return them after I have photo copies made."

Last edited by Pike on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
AwkwardlyAsh
AwkwardlyAsh

Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:22 pm
At first he didn't say much, just watched her do what she was here to do. He was a little bored at the start, and then he focused more one what she was stealing because it looked like a couple of plain papers- so boring there could be nothing possibly interesting about them. He narrowed his eyes, and ...ahah! They were files. That changed things up a bit. He would have been disappointed if it had just been some boring papers.

That was when.... "Oh." Noah recognized the names printed on the tabs of the folders. The were the campers that had recently been found dead. His smile had disappeared by now, and his eyes narrowed as he tried to reason why she was doing this. He watched as she continued to pull more files out, each one also part of the series of deaths. He counted seven in her hand when she was done. Chad Lewis, Atticus Young, Nevaeh Moore, Maisie Anderson, Angel Rei, Sable Thompson. Yes, that confirmed it. All dead.

"What are you going to do with those?" He wondered, confused and curious.
Pike
Pike
Administrator

Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:47 pm
Bea hesitated for a moment. On one hand, this guy could be behind everything, and wanted to know how much she knew. Then he could kill her. On the other hand, he could just be interested in what she's doing. She didn't have anybody to help her out, especially since Ophelia returned back to New Rome. The people in charge didn't really listen to her. Especially because apparently she always had "crazy theories". It's true that all of the deaths were solved and either ruled accidents or their killers were caught, but it just didn't make sense why so many happened in the past month.

Bea takes a deep breath, "Well, I need to find out if all of these deaths are connected. It just doesn't make sense for so many separate incidents to happen in this short of a time span. I tried talking to witnesses and asking around, but I was getting nowhere. Some were clearly murders, others looked like accidents, they occurred in pairs and with just single deaths. There's no consistency between age or gender. There's a variety of god parents. So, I'm looking into their files to see if there are any other patterns between all of the incidents." Her words come out quickly, and her eyes keep glancing towards the door, just in case someone was listening in in the hallway.

AwkwardlyAsh
AwkwardlyAsh

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:17 am
Her own paranoia that someone was watching through the door forced him to glance back now and then too, and he could barely hold eye contact as she explained her theory. It wasn't because he didn't believe her, it was mostly because Noah wasn't very good at handling serious things the way they should be handled. But right now, it felt as if he had been punched in the stomach. Someone here could have been behind this. That someone had killed a girl who had been one of his half sisters. And the rest of his siblings could be next, quite possibly even him.

For one of the rare times in his life, Noah Robinson was at a loss for words. Everything she had said made sense. These deaths were all irregular, and no one had bothered to do anything about it. Nine deaths in one week. Nine. He cleared his throat before replying. "Everyone knows almost everyone here. That might be a bad pattern to follow. I don't have much experience with mysteries... but I'd like to help."

Realizing how suspicious he may have appeared, just following her when she was getting leads on her 'case, he stuck his hand out for a quick introduction. "Noah Robinson. Been here since I was twelve."
Pike
Pike
Administrator

Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:44 pm
Bea nodded. "Well, you're in luck, I have plenty of experience." It was true. Most of her cases before this point had been minor. Stolen items, graffiti, the occasional missing persons. Though usually the reason they went missing was because they went home for the week and didn't tell anybody.

Except now, there was something to actually solve. Nine deaths. One month. She had already solved the first two deaths, in record time she might add, especially for the complexity of the case. Though, she had someone else there at the time. She missed Ophelia, they worked well together. But now she had someone else to lend a hand. Who knows, he might give Ophelia a run for her money. People tended to surprise her. Whether it be good or bad. People also tended to leave, whether it was their decision or not. She didn't like it either way.

Bea slid the files into her bag, before accepting Noah's hand. "Bea Dalton, I've been here since I was eleven. I'm in the Athena cabin." Though, that might just be obvious by now. She wasn't as much of a match to her siblings when it came to academics, but she was a good sleuth. It wasn't necessarily due to intelligence, but just unending perseverance and a little bit of brute force to get answers.

AwkwardlyAsh
AwkwardlyAsh

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:13 pm
How does she have experience in something like this? Noah found himself wondering, slightly incredulous. It was mostly the idea that someone could deal with things that were probably low-spirited. Missing people, attacks... He smiled a little at the next thought. Stolen things.

Athena Cabin, huh? He had found himself a bit surprised at that, though he wasn't even sure why. He guessed it was just because most of them were openly calculating and rule abiding- at least, most of the time. He hadn't known many Athena kids. They would've noticed him stealing almost always, and children of Morpheus were typically easier to trick.

"Do you know...how any of them happened?" He wondered. Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, he continued on. "How much do you already know and what can I do to help?" He wasn't sure why he was even offering to do this. Fear? Maybe, but getting caught up in this could result in his own murder. Oh well... he would just have to watch his back from now on.

Pike
Pike
Administrator

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:29 pm
Bea checked the watch on her wrist. It wouldn't be long before Chiron returned, and it was risky at best to just stand around somewhere where they weren't supposed to be, so Bea walked out the door and motioned for Noah to follow.

Bea nodded, "All of them." Though she didn't go into detail. That was the most puzzling part. Most of them had different deaths. Though, carnivorous sheep did show up in two different occurrences. Every time the word of a death got out, Bea was there, documenting and recording. In one case she had even been ahead of the crowd. She didn't like to think back on that occasion. The twins were good friends of hers.

When they reached the front porch, Bea kept walking towards the cabins. There were some people around, but all out of earshot. So, she felt safe enough to continue on. "I can show you what I have. I just need another set of eyes. I've looked at this for way too long, and if I'm missing something, I won't be able to see it. Fresh perspectives usually yield new results. I read that somewhere." She kept walking towards one of the lesser used cabins. A marble structure with columns out front and a domed roof. It was built a while back as an olive branch towards the Romans, though none ever really stayed. When Ophelia was here they used it as their home base, away from prying eyes. Though, it was only two days after Ophelia left that Bea returned.

She opened the door, jiggling the knob a little bit to get it unstuck. The marble seemed to suck all the heat out of the room, despite the open windows and spring heat. All the bunk beds had been pushed off to the side, leaving most of the cabin open. On one wall there were dozens of papers and lines made of red yarn. It was a web of connections, one that she had took the time to create. Polaroid pictures that she had taken at the crime scenes were tacked up to face the wall, so she didn't have to look at them unless absolutely necessary.

"This is what I have." Bea said, pointing to the wall, "Every death, connection, theory. All leading to nothing." She pulled the files out, depositing her bag on one of the empty beds. She had a little photocopier that she had borrowed from one of her siblings hooked up near an outlet. Except she just stood and stared at her web for a moment. It was all a little depressing.  

AwkwardlyAsh
AwkwardlyAsh

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:36 pm
"So how did all of them happen?" In his mind, he made a mental note to sneak into the Roman visitation cabins when one of the Jupiter campers decided to appear. His arms wrapped around himself as they entered to room, maybe because of the cold, but possibly also because it felt so barren and... alone. He surveyed his surroundings first, realizing that this indeed did make a good hideout. No one ever randomly decided to venture into the Roman cabin when no one was there.

He definitely agreed with the 'fresh set of eyes' thing. Noah hoped he would be helpful in this whole situation. After all, this wasn't anything close to his usual day to day hobbies, this was important. All the more reason to do it. That was when the bright red string of the suspect board on the wall caught his eye. It was painfully bright to him, but he figured now wasn't the time for him to say that.

He stood beside her, his hands on his hips. He felt it was an appropriate pose for this situation, because he had seen the BAU do it plenty of times before on Criminal Minds when they were standing in front of bulletin boards like this one. "Why would someone do it?" He found himself muttering under his breath. "What possible reason would anyone have?"

"Also, were the ones with the... what are those? Sheep? Were the ones with the Carnivorous Sheep the most recent two?"
Pike
Pike
Administrator

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:52 am

"First two were asphyxiation, second two were a capture the flag accident, third was a mission gone wrong, I'm thinking about leaving that one out, the three after that were all the sheep, but two separate incidents, and the last one is blunt force trauma." Bea pointed to each cluster of evidence on the board as she went through the list, stopping with Poppy, "I'm still not sure if the last one is an accident or not." That one was still relatively new, only happening two days ago. Still, the rest of the camp ruled it as an accident, burned the body, and moved on. It had rained the night before, and Poppy was known for going on early morning runs, so it wasn't improbable that she had just slipped and hit her head, but it was still strange when one realized how close it was in proximity to all the other deaths.

"The only connection I've found is that all of them except for Sable's death, occurred in the forest, but not really in the same area." The twins were found near the lake, the capture the flag deaths had happened further south, while the sheep were up north.

Bea shook her head, "I don't even know if it's a person doing this."
AwkwardlyAsh
AwkwardlyAsh

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:51 pm
"Blunt force trauma..." That one had caught his attention. That one seemed the most likely, along with the two capture the flag incidents, had caught his attention. "That one seems nearly impossible to be considered an accident, even if Poppy fell or hit a tree branch, but I guess we have to be open minded. We don't even have carnivorous sheep around here to my knowledge, so it's strange that they'd show up. How many of these deaths happened within the magical borders? Monsters can't come through, right? And if it was one strong enough to, why would it stop at just killing a few people?"

The gears in his head were turning a bit now, even if it was just small speculations for the time being. This was all so confusing, and there was no telling how things worked with every different monster. "I just can't help but think it is one of us doing this. And that makes it even scarier." He bit his lip, brows furrowing.
Pike
Pike
Administrator

Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:25 am
"All of them happened in borders, in the forest. I know monsters occasionally get into the forest, but the sheep have never appeared. Most people thought they didn't exist, yet, here they are. I don't think we've gotten rid of them yet." Another reason why nobody was interested in hearing her theories, they were still trying to round up all the sheep. Bea had even stopped her regular visits to the forest, for fear of becoming victim to them too. Apparently the sheep were faster than people gave them credit for, so while they had gotten rid of a good chunk of the flock, many got away.

"If it is one of us, they're probably pretty powerful. Or intelligent. Or, there might be more than one." Bea had already done the math, trying to get twenty or so carnivorous sheep into camp wouldn't be possible solo. Even two people. She wasn't even sure where carnivorous sheep came from. She'd have to do some research on that later.

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum